Seeing as it is currently summer in Australia, I thought it would be a perfect time to make a blog post with tips and advice to help you get your dog through those hot summer days.
- Ensure your dogs has access to shady areas out of direct sunlight.
- Place some frozen ice cubes in your dogs water to keep it cooler for longer.
- Place some small treats in an ice tray, fill it with water, then freeze it. Your dogs will have an exciting treat to enjoy, as well as a way to stay hydrated!
- Wet a towel with cold water and lay it out on the floor for your dogs to lay on. This will help keep their bodies cool.
- To help your dogs cool down, wet their feet with cold water.
- Leave a child’s pool or a small tub of cold water out for your dogs to play in. They will also willingly dip their feet in on their own if they are feeling hot.
- Avoid taking your dogs out for a walk during the hottest parts of the day. When you do walk them, ensure they aren’t walking on any hot surfaces. If you are unsure about the ground being to hot feel it with your hands, if it’s hot to touch then it’s hot for your dogs feet.
- Never leave your dog in a car! Cars heat up extremely fast and can be very dangerous to your dogs health!
- Know the signs for dehydration in dogs and look out for these symptoms (excessive panting, excessive drooling, weakness, fatigue, vomiting, staggering, collapsing).
2 thoughts on “DOGS + SUMMER”
Hi, thanks for stopping by and following our blog Genis’s Fat Dog Diary. The environment and weather conditions in south Africa are very similar to those in Australia and we will be following your blog for more advice about caring for our little furry friend.
Glad I can be of some help 🙂 Keep up the good work with your blog!